Fans of the new Star Wars film, The Force Awakens have been busily besmirching the internet with their inconsequential theories about what the series may have in store but did you know that J.J. Abrams’ sci-fi blockbuster has got it 100% WRONG when it comes to your doctoral research project? Read on and prepare to be amazed!
Here are 12 things that Star Wars got wrong about your PhD…You won’t believe it!
- Kylo Ren is not your Second Reader.
- Chewie’s shoulder bag is not a replacement for a good research methodology.
- Rey’s skill with a lightsabre does not represent your reading list.
- BB8’s memory chip does not contain your research outcomes.
- Han and Leia’s dialogue is not formatted in a recognised academic style.
- All the spaceships and puppets and that are not based on an agreed academic framework.
- Planetary annihilation by the Empire does not count as supervision.
- A crashed star cruiser is not on your conference list.
- The daring TIE fighter escape carried out by Finn and Poe is not the same as submitting a paper to an academic journal.
- The Force is not the % battery life of your laptop.
- Jedi Council meetings are nothing like your reading groups (although they might be as boring, LOL!).
- That bit where Finn knocks into the holographic chessboard from Episode IV: A New Hope and accidentally switches it on is the not the same as a two-hour viva.
“Nice try, STAR WARS!!!”
As you can tell, it’s been a slow week. Here’s another clickbait listicle that was personally rejected by me and then immediately reinstated but edited for brevity…
You Know You’re A PhD Student When…
1. You are registered as a doctoral candidate at an academic institution.
Now stop reading list articles and:
1. Get back to work.
2. Don’t read any more lists.
3. Seriously, get back to work.