In our latest follow-up to our survey of ARMA members we’re pleased to talk to Dr. Carlos García Aparicio who describes his varied role which centres around sourcing partners for research, and promoting the research work of his institute.
What does your role as research manager at the Institute of Polymer Science and Technology (ICTP) involve?
I’m responsible for internationalisation. Basically, my aim is promotion of ICTP activity. I promote the participation of different groups in European and International Research, Technology Development and Innovation (RTDI) projects. We have contact with a great number of researchers, creating networks in order to establish possible partnerships with foreign research groups, coordinating and managing new projects and grants (watching future calls for collaborations, scientist exchanges, funding, etc.)
To accomplish this, my activity is focusing on:
- Study of the activity of other research centres and international companies working in similar areas to ICTP, in order to establish collaborations.
- Creating profiles and collaborative applications based on the research of each group of ICTP, using search tools to form international consortia partners, i.e. Partner Service CORDIS Partner Search Tool for IMI (Innovative Medicines Initiative).
- Systematic monitoring of international funding programs for research, development and innovation (Framework Programme, EUREKA, COST, IMI, etc …) and to study the adequacy ICTP lines.
- Encouraging the participation of researchers in international ICTP funding of R & D.
- Advising ICTP researchers on existing programs, funding priority areas, characteristics of the calls, priority lines, etc.
- Supporting ICTP groups in preparing and presenting proposals to the program that best suits them.
- Improving, maintaining and strengthening scientific relationships with North-American, Asian, Latin-American and European countries.
- Establishment of new institutional collaborations between ICTP and related centres at European and international level: exchange of researchers, students, experimental techniques and development of joint research, projects and contracts.
What’s your favourite part of your role?
In general: Personal relations, huge information management, and Internet tools like socials networks (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn).
(You can see some of this work in the ICTP twitter profile)
What is the biggest challenge you face in your role?
Information management and establishing lasting contact with people
How important are building relationships to your role? Do you see this importance growing in the evolving research funding landscape?
Absolutely, they are very important. Nowadays we live in a globalised world. We have to contact with a great number of researchers, creating networks in order to get funding.
When you’re not working, how do you like to spend your time?
Children, wife and mobile phone 😉